Home Forums Song-Bike Forum Rules Barre chords

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  jkehew 2 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Harry
    Participant

Today I actually got all the notes in a Bm ringing out, been trying for a year. Although, I couldn’t play it in a song, it’s progress, for these old fingers of mine.

Wjbnole
    Participant

Keep practicing Harry! If you need the Bm in a song that is in the key of D, transpose the song using a capo to the feel of G and the Bm becomes an Em (an easy open chord)

The common chords in D are: D, G A and Bm (the 1, 4, 5 and 6)

The same 1, 4, 5, 6 pattern in G is:

G C D and Em, all beginner chords!

Makes sense?

Harry
    Participant

Thanks. I’ll give it a try.

jkehew
    Keymaster

capo at 7 to make the Em sound like Bm – good tip, Bill

Mr. Nick
    Participant

I have a question, do I really need to learn the dreaded barr chords? I saw one instructor on you-tube that said if I was going to learn 3-finger picking I could skip Barr chords if I learned the closed chords up & down the neck. Is this true? I hate barr chords but I understand that learning all new chords plus 3-finger picking is going to be like starring over. So do I bite the bullet and learn barr chords or move on with closed chords and 3-finger? I really want to learn Hybrid picking or chord melody and I’ve been told it’s the very hardest to learn and play. ???
    Thanks for your response,
    Nick

Wjbnole
    Participant

Jonathan can teach you lots of ways to avoid barre chords by playing chords and chord fragments up and down the neck.

But barre chords do open up a new world of playing rhythm guitar. If you can play the shapes that go with the A7, Am and A, along with the E7, EM and E, then you can play tons of barre chords. The shapes for the six chords stay the same as the open chords, but you have to add the dreaded barre with your index finger.

I didn’t think I could ever play a barre chord, but I stuck with it, practicing on my acoustic. Then I bought an electric guitar, and barre chords were all of a sudden pretty easy.

Learning the six shapes for barre chords is pretty easy, but executing the barre takes a bunch of practice.

You might want to take a few Skype lessons with Jonathan so you can decide what to focus on.

jkehew
    Keymaster

I would suggest a balance between working on barre chords and learning alternatives to barre chords. There are a LOT of alternatives, especially for finger-pickers. Do NOT judge your overall progress based on your barre chord progress !

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.