Home Forums Song-Bike Forum Rules Thoughts from an old guy!

This topic contains 9 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  MrMike47 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Darkdog
    Participant

I have just joined Jonathan’s site and this was a result of watching his videos on You Tube and liking his style and way of explaining things. I am a guy of advancing years who was given an acoustic guitar last Christmas after dropping hints to the family, I won’t reveal how many years I have enjoyed all forms of music suffice to say, I remember seeing Tommy Steele and Connie Frances when they were popular, draw you own conclusions from that! I really like the sound of Chord Melody guitar and aspire to playing some recognisable songs for my own enjoyment.
    In the couple of days I have been using this site I have been having a go at Danny Boy and can now, be it ever so slowly, get through with the help of Johnathan’s video. Just a small point, I find the video great but I do spend a lot of time pausing the video and going back to read the tabs again (probably due to my memory not being as sharp it was) It occurs to me that it would be helpful to have the ability to print of the tabs,maybe in PDF form so that I could refer to it. I’m looking forward to more video and content coming to the site in future.

Wjbnole
    Participant

I’m an old guy too (62). But having the tabs and or chords written out is a must for me. Sometimes copyright laws will prevent Jonathan from publishing such.
    One can get most chord tabs and some Riff tabs from Ultimate-Guitar.com. Pay a few bucks and you can get rid of the annoying ads. If you don’t mind the ads, the site is free. Note that there may be many versions of tabs, some more correct than others.
    Suggestion; learn some music theory (Jonathan has videos). Knowing basic chord theory will make learning songs much easier. You’ll see 1, 4, and 5 combinations in lots of places. Also the 6 chord (a minor chord).
    For example, in the key of G you’ll find G Am Bm C D Em and a practically useless diminished chord. G =1
    Am =2 Bm =3 C =4 D=5 and Em = 6 (forget the 7th).
    Lots of songs will use the 1, 4 and 5 chords. The G, C and D in the key of G. Throw in the 6th chord (Em) and now you have the chords for a ton of songs. Even songs written in another key that follow the 1, 4, 5 pattern can be played in the “feel” of G by using a capo. Learning some basic theory has encouraged me to practice.

Harry
    Participant

I’m an old guy too, picked up a guitar for the first time last summer, I’m still having trouble co-ordinating fingers for chord changes. Any tips.

Wjbnole
    Participant

Harry,

I read somewhere that one has to make the chord shape about 1,000 times before it becomes subconscious.

I’m not saying that to discourage you; quite the contrary, it’s meant to say keep practicing.

Pick two open chords, like a D and a G. Practice changing from one to the other for 5 minutes. Walk away. Try it again later in the day for another 5 minutes. Keep doing that until it’s mastered (changing in time with the help of a metronome). Then try another chord comb, like G to C. If you get G, C and D, you’re well on your way.

It’s worked for me. But I’m not the teacher here, so pay close attention to what Jonathan says!!

Harry
    Participant

Thank. I’ve not been able to get to any of the lessons yet, membership still pending, although I can get to forum.

jkehew
    Keymaster

A collection of pdf tabs is in the works. I agree that pausing the video is not ideal. Thanks for the “push.”

Darkdog
    Participant

Thanks for that Jonathan,look forward to seeing them.

Andrew Gillis
    Participant

Are these available? I’d really find PDFs of the tabs to be indispensable too as I spend a lot of time printing off screen grabs and arranging documents to use along side the lesson videos.

jhlegge1
    Participant

I found Jonathan on YouTube and I am an old guy too. I have been playing for many years off and on, but I never took the time to learn theory or practice much. Jonathan is great. I understand everything he says, and he doesn’t make me feel like a moron by playing super-fast riffs as examples. For the first time I’ve learned things about the circle of fifths that I never knew. I still don’t get why its a fifth going clockwise and a fourth going counter-clockwise. I guess that’s just my IT side kicking in, but that’s okay, it’s music. I don’t want to sound weird, but Jonathan is also sort of comforting, like Mr. Rogers or hot chocolate, and the guitars hanging on the wall add to it. Don’t change a thing. It’s great.

MrMike47
    Participant

I too am an old man and had playing a guitar on my bucket list for years.I would like to share a few thoughts that might help someone along.Before ever starting to learn you should first buy the best guitar you can afford. Cheap guitars are just about inpossible to learn on.Then learn the mechanics of it. You should know what action and neck relief mean.If either of these are not correct playing the guitar becomes difficult if not inpossible. Take Your guitar to a music store that has a luthier and have it set up and have a set of extra light strings put on 10-47 work good.I use John Pearse 80-20 bronze wound x-light guage as they are made in the USA and sound sweet.In closing a guitar with a low action and light strings makes fretting easier and your fingers will love it. It will also help when learning bar chords that are hard to fret.Just joined this site because I got tired of paying instructors to show me how good they could play.I love it as I can learn at my own pace. Good guitaring to you

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.